| |     ћирилица | latinica  
Registration of birth and citizenship of a child

  (Form No. 14. and Form No.13)


A child born abroad may acquire Citizenship of the Republic of Serbia, by origin of parents, if at least one parent at the time of its birth is a citizen of the Republic of Serbia. These conditions also apply to persons over the age of 18 and up to the age of 23.

Registration is made through the Consulate General of the Republic of Serbia in Sydney by one or both the parents, who are citizens of the Republic of Serbia. For children over the age of 14, their consent  is required and has to be signed and certified by a Consular officer in Sydney or by an authorised Justice of the Piece, if lodging the application by mail.

To register the birth and citizenship of a child born overseas, the following must be submitted:

  1. Application Form No.14 (PDF) and Form No.13 (PDF), completed and signed by both parents. Both parents submit the application. If one parent is submitting the application, consent of the other parent is needed. If the parents have different citizenship the application should be also signed by both parents. The application for birth and citizenship will be sent to the Registry in Serbia in the last place of residence of a parent. The application should be verified by the Justice of the Piece if sent by mail.  
  2. Original birth certificate of the child issued by Australia/NZ authorities, stamped with a current "APOSTILLE" certificate and translated into Serbian language.
  3. Proof of citizenship of the Republic of Serbia for the parents (copy of the citizenship certificate). If one parent is not a Serbian citizen, proof of other citizenship is required.
  4. Proof of residence of parents in Australia/NZ (eg. driver licence with current address, visa)
  5. Photocopy of passport of both parents or document of identification with a photograph.
  6. Marriage Certificate of parents, issued by the Registry of Marriages in Serbia (if married outside of Serbia, marriage needs to be registered in the Registry of Marriages in Serbia - see section on "Notification of Marriage" under Consular Services). If the child was born in a de facto relationship, the evidence of paternal recognition is required, stamped with Apostille seal and translated in to Serbian language.

Application fee: AUD $29.00.

Translation from English to Serbian: AUD $86.00 per document.

Fees may be paid in cash at the Consulate; if applying by mail, bank cheque or money order payable to “The Consulate General of the Republic of Serbia”.

Please note: all documents issued by foreign authorities (AU/NZ) must be authenticated with an Apostille certificate, before it can be accepted by the Serbian authorities. Apostille stamps are issued by the relevant government department - In Australia: Australian Passports Office Authentications Section (Ph: 1300 935 260 or visit www.smartraveller.gov.au), in NZ - NZ government (Ph: 0800 872 675 or visit www.govt.nz/authentications).


The Consulate General can issue an Emergency Travel Document for travel to Serbia for a newborn child.

Application process - please provide the following:

  1. Completed application form (PDF or MS Word), signed by the parents and witnessed by a Consular Officer. If applying by mail, the signature must be witnessed by the Justice of the Peace from the Consular list;
  2. Two passport size photographs of the child (3.5 x 4.5cm);
  3. Original birth certificate of the child - if born in Australia/NZ, stamped with a current "APOSTILLE" certificate and translated into Serbian language;
  4. Copies of valid Serbian Passports for both parents or Certificates of Serbian Citizenship, not older than 12 months from the date of issue;
  5. Both parents’ written consent for issuance of an emergency travel document;
  6. Application fee of $75.00 AUD.

For further information, please contact the Consulate.

Print version
Consular services
Obtaining documents from Serbia
Visas for Montenegro
List of received biometric passports
Travel Documents
Registration of birth and citizenship of a child
Notification of marriage that was performed by a foreign authority
Repatriation of Human Remains to Serbia
Documents Certification
Military Service
Other Services
Travel Abroad
Consular Fees